The General Electric Building, also known as 570 Lexington Avenue, is a historic 50-floor, 640-foot (200 m)-tall, skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, United States, at the southwest corner of Lexington Avenue and 51st Street).
Originally known as the RCA Victor Building when designed in 1931 by John W. Cross of Cross & Cross, and sometimes known by its address to avoid confusion with the much later renaming, (1988), of the RCA Building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza as the ‘GE Building’.
It backs up to the low Byzantine dome of St. Bartholomew’s Church on Park Avenue and shares the same salmon brick color. But from Lexington, the building is an insistently tall 50-floor stylized Gothic tower with its own identity, a classic Art Deco visual statement of suggested power through elaborate Art Deco decoration with lightening bolts showing the power of electricity. The base contains elaborate, generous masonry, architectural figural sculpture, and on the corner above the main entrance, a conspicuous corner clock with the curvy GE logo and a pair of silver disembodied forearms. The crown of the building is a dynamic-looking burst of Gothic tracery, which is supposed to represent electricity and radio waves, and is lit from within at night.