The Daily News Building, also known as The News Building, is a 476-foot (145 m) Art-Deco skyscraper located at 220 East 42nd Street between Second and Third Avenues in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Midtown Manhattan, New York City.
Built in 1929–1930, it was headquarters for the New York Daily News newspaper until 1995. It was also the headquarters of United Press International until the news service moved to Washington, DC in 1982. Its design by architects Raymond Hood and John Mead Howells, among the first skyscrapers to be built without an ornamental crown, can be seen as a precursor to Hood’s design of Rockefeller Center.
A 1957–60 addition to the building which expanded the lobby on the southwest corner of Second Avenue was designed by Harrison & Abramovitz, echoing the vertical stripes of the original design, except with a wider stripe. The building, including the newspaper’s new printing presses, cost $10,700,000 – about $135 million in 2010 dollars.
The lobby of the building includes a black glass domed ceiling, under which is the world’s largest indoor globe (which was previously kept up to date; however, it has now not been updated for some time). This was conceived by the Daily News as a permanent educational science exhibit.
The Daily News Building was designated a New York City Landmark in 1981 and its interior in 1998. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1989 and is now owned by SL Green Realty Corp.
The building is the home for the former Daily News TV broadcast subsidiary WPIX, channel 11, an affiliate of The CW network. The station is still owned by the Tribune Company, the former parent of the Daily News. It was also home to WQCD, the smooth jazz station The News had operated as WPIX-FM. Some time after former News parent Tribune Company took over WQCD directly, the station was sold to Emmis Communications. Other tenants include the United Nations Development Programme and the New York office of public relations firm FleishmanHillard.