One Wall Street (originally the Irving Trust Company Building, then the Bank of New York Building after 1988, and now known as the BNY Mellon Building since 2007), is a bank headquarters building which remains one of the finest Art-Deco-style skyscrapers in Lower Manhattan, New York City.
It is located in Manhattan’s Financial District on the corner of Wall Street and Broadway. Today, it serves as the global headquarters of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation.
Designed by Ralph Walker, the building was originally built for the Irving Trust Company. It is an Art Deco architectural style, with a steel skeleton whose facade is covered in limestone. Because of the curves in the wall, the bank does not completely occupy its full building lot, and by law the unoccupied and unmarked land reverts to the public, but for a number of small markers embedded in the sidewalk asserting the limits of the building’s lot. It is fifty stories and is 654 feet (199 meters) tall, and measures 1,165,659 rentable square feet.
The Wall Street entrance leads into a two-story banking hall whose ceiling is decorated with red and gold mosaics designed by Hildreth Meiere, comparable to the mosaics in the Golden Hall of Stockholm City Hall, and manufactured by the same company, the Ravenna Mosaic Company in Berlin.
Construction on the building began in 1929 and was completed in 1931, to the designs of the architectural firm of Voorhees, Gmelin and Walker.
In 1963-1965, a 36-floor addition to the site was constructed to the south of the tower to provide extra office space. This site had been occupied by the eighteen-story Manhattan Life Insurance Building (1894), which was the title-holder as the tallest building in the world from 1894 until 1899, and the twentytwo-story Knickerbocker Trust Company Building (1909). Among other alterations was the chiseling out of “Irving Trust” name from the cornerstone and replacement with “Bank of New York”.
The building has had numerous problems with the limestone exterior, and in 2001, the building’s owners decided to bring in Hoffmann Architects to conduct a survey of the exterior and provide a five year masterplan which consists of mortar repair and window replacements.